Monday, April 12, 2010

Just Because

I have mentioned before that in our church we try to take care of each other.  We do this by having assigned to us 3 - 6 individuals or families to visit each month just to see how they're doing.  We will have a companion assigned to us so we don't go alone.

This past month I was unable to connect with my companion and couldn't get another to substitute for him so I asked Jana if she would mind going with me to see a couple young women I visit.  I gave her a little more notice this time and she willingly came with me.

Jana is a joy to visit people with.  She always makes them feel special and important simply by how she gives them her full attention, asks questions and listens intently to their responses.  One of our visits was to a wonderful and talented young woman.  In the course of the conversation Jana asked her if she had seen a particular movie.  The young woman replied, no, she hadn't.  Jana immediately said,

"Well, you'd love it.  In fact, what are you doing Friday night?"

"I don't have any plans right now."

"Then why don't you just come over and we'll pop some popcorn and watch it.  Kevin, you can join us if you want."

Jana not only shared a loving thing by her willingness to help me in my visits, but also extended her love to a young woman "just because":  just because she enjoys getting to know people one-on-one; just because she remembers what it's like to be single and alone; just because she's genuinely interested in people.

Sounds like a great date night to me.

____________________

IF YOU WOULD, PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO COMMENT ON ONE OF THE LOVING THINGS, SMALL OR GRAND, THAT YOU HAVE RECEIVED FROM SOMEONE IMPORTANT TO YOU.

1 comment:

  1. You two are wonderful!!! I'm going to miss being in that ward! I am truly blessed to know both of you.

    ReplyDelete

Please take a moment to comment on the loving expressions, small or grand, that you have received.