Friday, April 23, 2010

Toe Tap

What a great week last week was.  Arielle, our college daughter, had completed her first semester of college and was home for a week.  Well, four days anyway.  She actually stayed the first 5 days with her sister in her apartment.  They had a great time together.

This past Monday I loaded up Arielle's freshly cleaned laundry, a case of plastic water bottles refilled with "home water" (she doesn't like the tap water in Rexburg) and a couple boxes of groceries.  We also packed up a young woman who has been in our ward for the past 4 months between semesters. We then headed back for the Spring semester in Rexburg.  She had just one week between semesters.

We got to Boise, about a half hour from home, when Arielle realized she had forgotten the storage tub of flour she was going to take with her.  She learned how to bake bread last Fall and while at school bakes bread every other week.  She does this on Sunday and the first loaf, hot out of the oven, is dedicated to the roommates and they have fresh, hot bread for dinner.  The other two loaves last her two weeks, until it's time to bake bread again.  She has really become quite the good bread cook.

I turned around and headed back home and we picked up the flour.

We originally left at 10:00 am, and left the second time at 11:10, arriving in Rexburg at 4:00.  We unloaded.  I worked on Arielle's computer printer, which hasn't worked all semester, and got it working again.  We then made a grocery run, with one of Arielle's wonderful roommates, Hailee, where Arielle spent $8.00.  After getting the groceries home I left for home, pulling out of the apartment at 6:00 pm.

I called Jana to let her know I was on my way home.  She told me to drive safely and she'd see me in the morning, as she'd be asleep when I got home.

After a couple short stops I pulled in to our driveway at 12:10 am.

I tried to be quiet as I tiptoed through the house, putting things away.

When I got to the bedroom I quietly walked up to the dresser, which is on Jana's side of the bed, and started unloading my pockets.  I felt a soft tap on the back of my left leg and turned to see Jana's foot sticking out from the blankets, tapping me a soft welcome home.


Loving things aren't usually great big things.  They're the little expressions, the quiet connections that speak volumes more than books about love and in a language more eloquent than lyric.  They're the sleepy toe taps that tip 'I love you.  I'm glad you're home.  Good night."

____________________

IF YOU WOULD, PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO COMMENT ON ONE OF THE LOVING THINGS, SMALL OR GRAND, THAT YOU HAVE RECEIVED FROM SOMEONE IMPORTANT TO YOU.

2 comments:

  1. That really is a sweet loving thing and it reminds me to look more for those sweet and loving things everyday. Because more often than not in marriage loving things are the little things and they speak volumes but are just harder to see sometimes. Thanks for reminding me to look for those things!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh-h-h-h, this touches my heart!

    ReplyDelete

Please take a moment to comment on the loving expressions, small or grand, that you have received.