Monday, April 5, 2010

Teal Subarus

Thursday was my daughter, Chanel's, birthday.  Jana and I had made arrangements to meet her at a restaurant in Boise where we had her birthday dinner.

After dinner we headed to Chanel's apartment on the other side of town.  As we headed toward the freeway Chanel got ahead of us.  Jana and I were chatting as we drove along.  Suddenly, Jana said, "Hey, Chanel is turning left ahead.  You'd better follow her."

"That doesn't make sense.  The freeway is the fastest way to get to her place."

"Well, she obviously knows the best way to get home so you'd better follow her."

I dutifully followed Jana's instructions and I pulled into the left turn lane behind Chanel.  I couldn't figure out why Chanel would turn away from the freeway.  As I sat there looking it seemed to me it really didn't look like Chanel in front of me.  The car color was teal, like Chanel's.  The driver was wearing sunglasses, like Chanel.  Her hair was cut, combed and colored, like Chanel's.  But the car was a teal Subaru and not a teal Prism, like Chanel's.

By now, cars were lined up next to me so I couldn't change lanes.  I waited out the light, turned the corner and found a place to turn around.  Eventually, we made it to the freeway.  By the time we made it to Chanel's apartment, she wondered what took us so long.

Over our years together I have come to trust Jana's judgment – the loving thing she brings to our partnership.  She is a wise woman.  I trust her instincts.  I trust her ability to see through the superficials of life and zero in on the essentials.  For that reason I have made it a habit to act when she suggests action.  Only then do I think and reason and consider the suggestion.  Every once in a while her suggestion lines us up in the left turn lane behind a teal Subaru.  But her judgment is correct so frequently that I have learned the wisest route is to follow her counsel and risk the occasional Subaru.

____________________

IF YOU WOULD, PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO COMMENT ON ONE OF THE LOVING THINGS, SMALL OR GRAND, THAT YOU HAVE RECEIVED FROM SOMEONE IMPORTANT TO YOU.

1 comment:

  1. Well said.
    I love the line, "risk the occassionaly Subaru". Classic!

    ReplyDelete

Please take a moment to comment on the loving expressions, small or grand, that you have received.