Saturday, March 27, 2010

Kung Pau Camel

It's been a busy day, capping a busy week.  The day started with cleaning the church, followed by a list of projects (including mowing my lawn for the first time this year) that's kept Jana and I moving in asynchronous circles.

Just before leaving for a baptism service this evening I said to Jana,

"Can we do something tonight?"

"Yes. What did you have in mind?"

"How about doing something where we can just talk?  I don't feel like we've had any connection time this week."

I then suggested the Jade Garden restaurant and she readily agreed. I told her we'd go as soon as I got home.

When I got home from the baptism Jana was in watching the basketball game between West Virginia and Kentucky that would decide who went to the Final Four of March Madness.  (West Virginia, the underdog, ended up winning by 7.)  I went straight to the bedroom where I changed clothes.  I didn't want to wear a suit and tie but I still wanted to look nice.  I put my coat on, grabbed the checkbook and went into the TV room and said,

"I'm ready to go."

The significance of my getting ready, including having the keys in hand, is important as, in past history, I have been known to say, "Let's go" then take another 20 minutes changing clothes, shutting house windows and locking doors.  That tends to test Jana's patience.  So I wanted to be ready to walk out the door before I made my appearance.

We just prattled on the way to the restaurant.  When we got there and got our buffet Chinese meals we sat and prattled some more.  About Jana's work.  About Chanel's upcoming birthday.  About summer vacation.  About a slumber party Jana wants to have with Chanel.  About the wonderful weekend Jana spent with her sisters last week.  About our adventures of the day.   About everything.  About nothing.

It took us an hour and a half to just sit and eat and not eat and talk.

Jana's love language is quality time.  That means "being" and "doing" together.  No distractions.  No other interests.  Just the moment and the time.  When you think of it, it's really amazing that quality time doesn't really take that much time at all.  It takes attentiveness.  It takes hearing.  It takes sharing.  And I find it interesting that such a simple loving thing can so fully replenish our relationship. It's like giving a camel a little time to eat and drink, after which he can go for days with otherwise meager refueling.

Seems to me to be a pretty good investment of time.  So, as I sit here this evening, Jana is back in the TV room, now watching the news, and I sit here, jotting down a few lines.  And I feel replenished.

____________________

IF YOU WOULD, PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO COMMENT ON ONE OF THE LOVING THINGS, SMALL OR GRAND, THAT YOU HAVE RECEIVED FROM SOMEONE IMPORTANT TO YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please take a moment to comment on the loving expressions, small or grand, that you have received.