Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Shoe Strings and Frozen Beans

Saturdays seem to be a premium around here.  With life being what it is it seems I get about two Saturdays a month to actually get things done on my personal list.  Everything has a season and I suppose the day will come when I wish I had something someone wanted me to do on a Saturday.  But for now, they're a little rare.

Of late Jana has been complaining of foot pain from her daily walking exercise.  Actually it's not from her walking; that actually takes her mind off the foot pain.  But her feet have been hurting her.  During the week I saw an ad in the newspaper from Big 5 Sporting Goods that had some walking shoes by Dr. Scholl's, a company known for its footcare products.  (A not so terribly interesting aside: when Jana and I were dating, my first post-mission job was at Big 5 Sporting Goods in California.)

Saturday morning I suggested we have a morning date so after she had showered we headed off for Big 5.  It is nearly legendary how little Jana likes shopping, but she was excited that morning.

Before we headed to the sporting goods store we made a stop at "Cash 'n Carry", a restaurant grocery supply store that we like to shop at periodically.  This stop was just for me.  We went to buy some frozen vegetables, which I eat a lot of.  For $8 we were able to buy two week's of vegetables.  (Did I mention our food budget has dramatically dropped since Arielle went to school?)

We got to the store and found the sale shoes.  They were regularly $70 and were on sale for $29.95.  At first we were concerned as they didn't have what Jana thought was her size.  She went ahead and tried on a pair that were half a size larger than she thought she was, but they fit like Cinderella's glass slippers.

At my insistence she walked around the store for awhile to make sure they didn't have any sore spots (she just wanted to buy 'n go).  Then we bought them.  The shoes she's been wearing are athletic shoes she bought with my son's help about 12 years ago.  By now the support is shot.

After we got home Jana put them on and wore them around the house as she went about her chores.  Later that afternoon she headed for the Rec Center for her 8 lap walk.  When she came home she pronounced the shoe-shopping date a success.

I'm finding I love spending time with Jana – doing just normal, unhurried things – more and more all the time.  Her love language is "Quality Time".  As we headed home from Big 5 she said, "This qualifies as 'love'.  Definitely three points."  Quality Time = a loving thing.  For both of us.

____________________

IF YOU WOULD, PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO COMMENT ON ONE OF THE LOVING THINGS, SMALL OR GRAND, THAT YOU HAVE RECEIVED FROM SOMEONE IMPORTANT TO YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please take a moment to comment on the loving expressions, small or grand, that you have received.