Wednesday, January 27, 2010

The Rules of the Game

I don't expect there are very many men reading this blog but I feel it my obligation tonight to share with any male readers the "rules of the game".  I"m almost sure no one has told you this – I just learned the rules myself after I had been married for 23 years – but it's best that you understand them now rather than later, rather than lulling yourself into a state of ignorant security.

The rules are simple, but not necessarily easy.  And there is a scoring system that is critical to understand.  For example, knowing that a touchdown scores your team 6 points, a safety scores 2, etc., makes the game of football far more understandable.  So let me explain.

Rule #1 
When you do something kind, sweet, unexpected (in a good way) or thoughtful for your wife you get one point.  That sounds simple enough.  However, it doesn't matter how big or small or even how much effort you put into the action.  Sincerity is the deciding factor.  If you wash the dishes without being asked: one point; if you volunteer to prepare dinner (and actually do it, not just volunteer): one point;  if you take her on a cruise to the Caribbean: one point!

Rule #2
You can only earn one point in a day.  No more.  As in the above example, wash the dishes once: one point; wash the dishes after each meal: one point; Caribbean cruise: one point!  That's it.  Once your point is earned that day, no more points no matter how many other nice things you do.

Rule #3
You can not "carry over" points from one day to the next.  Each day starts fresh and the point for that day (if you earn one) must be accomplished that day.

Rule #4
You can lose your point for the day (assuming you earned one) by doing something ignorant, rude, forgotten, thoughtless or just plain stooopid.

Rule #5
There is no limit to the number of points you can lose in a day!  You can earn one, but then, through thoughtlessness, forgetfulness or unkindness, can lose 5 or even more, putting you in a negative standing for the day.  Points accumulate over your lifetime.

Rule #6
Your wife is the sole judge of the points earned.  Any decision rendered by the judge is binding, nonnegotiable and can not be appealed.

Any questions?

Now, I had to explain the rules of the game in order for you to appreciate Jana's loving thing to me.

Monday, January 18th, was Martin Luther King day.  I already shared what Jana and I did on that day since she had the day off work.

Our garbage day is on Wednesday.  Whenever there is a holiday on Monday this pushes our garbage day back to Thursday.  I have mentioned that occasionally I have been known to miss garbage day so our garbage stacks up for two weeks.  Such was the case the week before, and our cans were stuffed full.  Well, last week, on Wednesday morning I thought, "Monday was a holiday.  I wonder if the garbage man will come by today or tomorrow."  To cover my bases I went ahead and took my garbage cans to the curb, "just in case".

About two that afternoon I looked up from my computer when I heard a commotion outside and saw the garbage truck pull up to the curb.  I chortled in my joy:  "I win!"

As if that weren't enough, I then went outside and brought the empty cans back to the garage.  I then promptly forgot all about it as I went back to work.

After work, lately, Jana has been stopping off at the Rec Center on her way home as it's just next door to the hospital where she works.  When she got home shortly after 5:00 she went through her afterwork routine then came into the office.  "Did you take the garbage out today?"

Wait, wait! I know the answer to this!
"Yes." (Calmly)

"You did?  I'm so happy!  For that you get three points!"
Remember Rule #6?  I'm not about to argue the score!  Breaking the rules of the game just for you is definitely a loving thing!
____________________

IF YOU WOULD, PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO COMMENT ON ONE OF THE LOVING THINGS, SMALL OR GRAND, THAT YOU HAVE RECEIVED FROM SOMEONE IMPORTANT TO YOU. 
 

8 comments:

  1. Thanks Megan. However, I have found that only a man can explain the rules of the game to another man, otherwise he won't get it or will ignore it.

    And that's the problem. Most men don't know the rules, hence, there's no one to tell them. This helps explain why so many men are clueless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. One more thing, if you want to do a loving thing for your husband, just let him read this post. Don't tell him why otherwise he won't read it. You might say something like, "Honey, would you like to play a game tonight? It's really simple [don't say 'easy'] and all you have to do is earn one point you'll get a prize."

    The prize is up to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know the sealed plates we haven't read yet - - - -well I'm thinkin' I might see something like this in there!

    A blast of a read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LD, You're probably right. That could help explain why they're sealed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. John's been baffled lately. I'll send him your way, Kevin.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I find myself disagreeing with rule #2
    Why would a guy keep trying to earn points if he is only going to get one per day? He could do the dishes in the morning and be like, "well, there's my point for the day...no use doing anything else".
    As for me, I am going to have 5 possible points for my man! And if he gets all 5 for the day, he earns a prize! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Megan, regarding rule #2, a guy needs to keep trying, even after he earns his point, because (remember Rule #4) he could, if he doesn't stay on his toes, lose that point ... or even more (see Rule #5).

    But then again, if you want to offer 5 points (assuming he can count that high) to your man ... I defer to Rule #6.

    ReplyDelete

Please take a moment to comment on the loving expressions, small or grand, that you have received.