Friday, January 22, 2010

The Power of Her Touch

Since the week between Christmas and New Year's I've been experiencing intense pain between my shoulder blade and spine.  Finally, after three weeks of constant discomfort, I went to see a chiropractor to see if there may be a pinched nerve.

The appointment was very informational and the massage therapist's work felt wonderful but the pain persisted.

This week the pain became distracting enough, or I just felt tired enough, to call my family physician.  He checked me out and did a series of x-rays and found no evidence of any spinal problems.  He, like the chiropractor, determined it was muscular in nature and suggested I go to a physical therapist for a couple weeks and see how it does.

When I went to bed last night, fairly late, Jana had been in bed for awhile and I assumed she was asleep.  When I crawled into the cozy flannel sheets I asked if she was awake and she said yes.  We just prattled for awhile but, as we did so, I kept changing positions to try to get comfortable.  I ended up with my back to her.  As she prattled she simply reached over and touched my shoulder.
"Is this where it hurts?"
She then just started to massage my shoulder.

Even with the attention of the chiropractor, followed by my physician, and with the addition of anti-inflammatory medications my pain persists.  But with the tenderness of Jana's simple though untrained touch the discomfort melted away.  Though practiced in the physiology, anatomy and pathology of the human body, the thing the trained professionals can't duplicate is the healing touch of a loving spouse, a touch that not only warms the aches and pains, but the heart as well.  I drifted off to sleep with the comfort of the loving thing that only Jana can give.
____________________

IF YOU WOULD, PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO COMMENT ON ONE OF THE LOVING THINGS, SMALL OR GRAND, THAT YOU HAVE RECEIVED FROM SOMEONE IMPORTANT TO YOU. 

1 comment:

Please take a moment to comment on the loving expressions, small or grand, that you have received.