Saturday, January 9, 2010

The "7 Second, Steamy Glasses" Kiss


Friday night is supposed to be date night.  But all too often, I confess, that when Friday night comes along all I want to do is turn off the brain and it ends up, "Do you want to watch a video?"  So this week I decided that isn't good enough, Jana deserves better.  So on Thursday I sent Jana an email at work,
Would you please check your schedule and see if you're free to go out with me tomorrow night?  I'll pick you up a about 5:30.

RSVP
LOVE, Kevin
To which I received her reply,
I am so free    :)
When she got home I reminded her a couple of times about being ready at 5:30.  "I've taken care of everything, including a babysitter for the kids."  (We had delivered our youngest to college last weekend.)

Then, to add to the anticipation, I reminded her to be ready at 5:30 when she left for work Friday morning.  I emailed her a couple hours later,
I have a love for you.  Be ready at 5:30.
When she got home I was engrossed in finishing up some projects and pushing to get finished by 5:30.  At 5:34 I turned off the computer and went into the bedroom where Jana was reading and said, "Are you ready to go?"

We headed out the door to a simple restaurant nearby and had dinner.  Some friends were also at the restaurant and were sitting just a table away.  When we arrived we chatted with them for a few minutes, but other than that I intentionally ignored them so Jana and I could just talk.  (My normal behavior would have been to continue an ongoing conversation with them through the meal.)  We just talked about our day and whatever else came to mind.  We were finished eating at 6:30 and just sat chatting. 

When we finally left we leisurely drove to our sister-in-law's home where I had arranged for us to spend the evening visiting.  Our brother-in-law passed away just before Christmas and it was good to visit with her and see her in excellent spirits.  We had a wonderful time.   It was also fun visiting with our nephew from out of town who has stayed with her since the funeral.  He has been so kind and caring.  As we left I told Loretta,
"Thank you for being our date tonight."

"I was your date?  Well, thank you for having your date with me.  You can come over for a date anytime."
It was particularly cold tonight and as we pulled into the driveway we scuttled into the house to get warm.  After we got into our empty house I gave Jana a kiss.  You know, the excuse for a kiss we always seem to give: a quick peck.  But I thought, that's not right.  I've been listening to a tape series I won at our annual Ison family Christmas party white elephant exchange called "Light Her Fire".  It was recorded back in the 90s and I'm sure it was picked up for the party at a thrift store, but I've been enjoying it.  One of the stories shared in the series told of a couple who had come to a marriage counselor seeking a divorce.  The dialogue went something like this,
Wife:  When he comes home from work he never kisses me.

Husband:  She's off her nut.  I kiss her every night when I come home.

Wife:  You call that a kiss?  It's a peck.  You may as well be kissing a rock.

Therapist, to the wife:  What would you consider a real kiss.

Wife:  Well, I don't know.  I know it when I feel it.

Therapist:  No, that's not good enough.  With men you need to be specific.  Exactly how long of a kiss do you want?

Wife:  I don't know . . . maybe . . . 7 seconds.
Therapist, to the husband:  OK.  You have your assignment.  This week, every evening, when you come home from work, I want you to give your wife a 7 second kiss.  Do you think you can do that?

The next week, when the couple came for their visit they were asked how their week went.  The husband replied "Fantastic!", then told their story.

Jana and I had listened to the tapes on our way home from dropping off our daughter at school last Monday, so I suggested to Jana, "No, I want a 7 second kiss."  She willingly obliged.

Afterward she asked,
"How long was that?"

"9 seconds."

"Well, it steamed up my glasses."
I looked at her and, sure enough, I couldn't even see her eyes through the foggy lenses.  You know, I highly advocate the "7 second, steamy glasses kiss" as a truly loving thing.  I can't think of a better way to finish up a date, or for whenever you get back together after being apart for any length of time for that matter. 
 


Notation:  This post will probably embarrass our children, but that's their problem.
____________________

IF YOU WOULD, PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO COMMENT ON ONE OF THE LOVING THINGS, SMALL OR GRAND, THAT YOU HAVE RECEIVED FROM SOMEONE IMPORTANT TO YOU.

5 comments:

  1. This makes me smile. Love the 7 second rule and the steamy glasses picture. Cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hats off to steamy kisses!
    Your kids are off somewhere texting, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite lines: "I've arranged babysitting" and "embarrass our kids . . . that's their problem." Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like this post! It's true...7 seconds is just enough.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would like to report that I've experimented with the 7 second kiss and it really works. Jana I like the steamy eye glasses pic.

    ReplyDelete

Please take a moment to comment on the loving expressions, small or grand, that you have received.