Sunday, December 20, 2009

A Talking Hand

After a busy Sunday we had a young single adult fireside this evening.  Our speaker was Elder J. Craig Rowe, a member of the Quorum of the Seventy - a leader in our church.  Six years ago he served as our Stake President and I got to work fairly closely with him for a couple years.  He has also been a client of mine professionally.  (I even bought my lawnmower from him.  He was buying a new riding mower and sold me his Toro, which I've used now for 6 years.)

My after-church interviews were finished a little earlier today than they have been lately so I was home by 5:00.  I actually got to eat dinner with my family and then read a little before leaving for the 7:00 fireside.

The fireside was very enjoyable and I appreciated Elder Rowe's informal remarks and counsel.  It's always good to visit with him for a few minutes.

During the fireside Jana slipped her hand, palm down, just under my thigh and wiggled her fingers.  It's a little thing ... just a touch.  But it says a lot.  It says, "Hey, I'm here.  I like you.  I'm sitting next to you and want you to know that.  I am at peace.  God is in His heaven and all is right with the universe ... and all is right with me."

I think every couple develops their own simple ways of touching or nonverbally communicating contentment, love and peace.  This is just one of hers.  It is a loving thing.  It lets me know she's at peace in our relationship – that she loves me.  And that's always nice.
____________________

IF YOU WOULD, PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO COMMENT ON ONE OF THE LOVING THINGS, SMALL OR GRAND, THAT YOU HAVE RECEIVED FROM SOMEONE IMPORTANT TO YOU.

1 comment:

  1. When holding hands, Jason and I give 3 squeezes,I...Love...you. Some times there's a response of one squeeze..Really? Then another..Yes!

    ReplyDelete

Please take a moment to comment on the loving expressions, small or grand, that you have received.