Friday, December 4, 2009

I'm the Luckiest

My oldest daughter, Chanel, was here this weekend and introduced Jana into the world of iPods.  She had an older iPod she was willing to lend Jana so she can listen to her favorite music.  The two of them sat in front of one of our computers sampling a huge file of music that Chanel has so Jana could select her own special mix.

In the end Jana had selected 150 songs for her personal playlist.  In addition to a huge number of classical selections and showtunes Chanel had made some suggestions of songs that Jana did not know, but which she knew my wife would love.

Since this weekend I have found Jana, at night before going to bed, sitting in our wingback bedroom "reading chair" with her head plugged into the iPod, eyes closed, blissfully conducting a room filled with silence.

As I sat here at my computer this evening preparing to write tonight's post, pajama-clad Jana came in.

"You have to listen to this.  This is one of the songs Chanel suggested I add to my list. I wish you had written it."

Before we were married I used to write and perform music.  I think it may have been one of the things that caught Jana's attention when we were getting to know each other while co-directing a play production.  I had written one of the songs for the play and one evening, backstage, I played a few of my songs for her.  Later I wrote a couple for her as our relationship continued to grow.

The song Jana wanted me to hear is a beautiful song, "The Luckiest" by Ben Folds.  I was familiar with it and enjoyed plugging into the iPod while Jana silently watched me listen, a faint satisfied, giving smile in her countenance.

Her simple comment, "I wish you had written it", was a loving thing to me because it meant the message and emotion of the song made her think of me.  I don't sing or write as often as I used to.  But lately I have pulled out my old guitar, dusted it off, tuned it up and, usually late at night, have played alone in the bedroom.  Jana came in the other night while I was playing and said, "I love to hear you play again."

Just maybe I will.

Click to listen for yourself.




____________________

IF YOU WOULD, PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO COMMENT ON ONE OF THE LOVING THINGS, SMALL OR GRAND, THAT YOU HAVE RECEIVED FROM SOMEONE IMPORTANT TO YOU.

1 comment:

  1. I always loved it when you played the guitar and sang when I was little. With all 5 of my kids I always sang the puffin song and the blue and green song. I wish you would record your songs for your family. I'll bet playing and singing again is very therapeutic! Also, LOVE that song, the Luckiest. Thanks for sharing it! Love you!

    ReplyDelete

Please take a moment to comment on the loving expressions, small or grand, that you have received.