Sunday, December 6, 2009

Hot Bread, Strawberry Jam and Being Included

On Sunday mornings, just before I head out the door to my meetings, I wake up Jana so we can have a morning prayer together.  I usually just kneel by the bed while she stays tucked in and we hold hands as we pray.  I then don't see her until church and talk to her briefly between meetings.

Today during our Sunday School hour I was a few minutes late and slipped into the class, finding the first chair available.  After a few minutes the teacher asked a question and I turned to see who was responding when I saw Jana sitting on the back row.  I grabbed my books and slipped out the door (there are two doors in that classroom), went around and came back in the second door and slipped in beside her.

After a few minutes she leaned over to me and said, "I've invited a couple guests over to our house this evening."  She had invited two of the young women in our ward over just to visit and play games.

When we got home after an evening "fireside" Christmas meeting, Chanel's car (Chanel is my oldest daughter) was in the driveway – always a good thing.  We came inside and I got a fire going in the fireplace to warm things up.  Arielle got started making some bread, partially as a treat and partially as a "white elephant" gift at our family home evening Christmas party tomorrow.

Soon the young woman from our ward came over and we had a wonderful time talking, playing games and polishing off a loaf of hot bread and home made strawberry jam the moment it came out of the oven.

Jana is a wonderful hostess when it comes to making people feel at home.  Her thoughtfulness in inviting these two wonderful young women over for an informal evening just to relax and visit was truly a loving thing.  I am so grateful for her gift for making people feel comfortable.  That ability was also the thing that made me feel relaxed and comfortable on our first date.  It really works!

____________________

IF YOU WOULD, PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO COMMENT ON ONE OF THE LOVING THINGS, SMALL OR GRAND, THAT YOU HAVE RECEIVED FROM SOMEONE IMPORTANT TO YOU.

1 comment:

  1. Yum! I'm glad I'll be at that "white elephant" gift exchange this evening!

    ReplyDelete

Please take a moment to comment on the loving expressions, small or grand, that you have received.