Monday, December 21, 2009

A Spontaneous Rendezvous

I love spontaneous rendezvous's. They are like adding a little lemon pepper to a plate of otherwise delicious mixed vegetables, adding flavor and a little zing.

I was out running some errands this afternoon.  As I headed down our street toward our house I noticed that the clock in my car read "4:27".  My daughter is off work at 4:30.  So, without stopping at home I pulled a U-turn in front of our house and headed to my daughter's place of work to pick her up.

As she got in the car she asked where mom was.

"She's home.  I saw her van in the driveway but I didn't stop."

"Well, we were going to go to the bank in Albertsons to deposit my check then go shopping."

As we drove up the street with my daughter behind the wheel, we saw Jana's van pull to a stop on a side street, obviously headed to pick her up.  I rolled down my window and waved vigorously to make sure she saw us.  She did, then shrugged and held up her hands as if to say, "Hey, what's going on?"

"Mom needed to go to the bank at Albertsons as well so we'll just meet her there" offered my daughter.

We watched in the mirror to see if Jana would follow us.  She did.

We pulled into the Albertsons parking lot and got out of the car just as Jana pulled in nearby.  As I approached she was wearing her beautiful smile as I told her why I had picked our daughter up.  She then offered,

"Why don't we just swap cars and let our daughter come with me and you can go on home."

Great suggestion.  At first I thought she was just offering to relieve me so I could get back to work.  But then I thoought,

"Hey, I'll bet they want to buy me Christmas presents ... lots of Christmas presents."

So, with a knowing smile and  wink I said, "Sure.  Take your time."

I know it sounds silly, but I love meeting my wife in different places – unplanned, serendipitous places.  It's like a secret rendezvous.  I leaned into the window and gave her a kiss.  "I'll see you later.  Have fun."

A spontaneous rendezvous definitely qualifies as a loving thing.
____________________

IF YOU WOULD, PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO COMMENT ON ONE OF THE LOVING THINGS, SMALL OR GRAND, THAT YOU HAVE RECEIVED FROM SOMEONE IMPORTANT TO YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please take a moment to comment on the loving expressions, small or grand, that you have received.