Saturday, December 12, 2009

"No, I'm Sure I Didn't Have the Checkbook Last"

Having been self employed for 26 years I don't have the luxury of a regular, predictable paycheck.  My money comes in as my money comes in ... and sometimes not.  This makes it difficult to budget at times.  For about 23 of those 26 years Jana has taken care of the finances of my business, paying the bills and shifting over to the household account what was left over.

I came back to the house after having gone helping someone in my ward move this afternoon and found Jana at the kitchen table, with work order envelopes and bills spread all over.  She does this about twice a month and with the many jobs I have coming and going and the various vendors who supply needed services this generally takes a couple hours as she expertly handles this necessary detail of our life.


I am so grateful for her patience and constancy in taking care of this important task.  Coupled with Jana's frugality and low materialistic needs we are able to have sufficient for our needs.  Although these financial tasks she manages are needed things, they are also loving things.  And I made sure to tell her.

(I especially made to sure to tell her after I found the household checkbook, hidden in my suit pocket, which has been missing for the past 10 days.  "No, honey, I'm sure I wasn't the last one who had it.")
____________________

IF YOU WOULD, PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO COMMENT ON ONE OF THE LOVING THINGS, SMALL OR GRAND, THAT YOU HAVE RECEIVED FROM SOMEONE IMPORTANT TO YOU.

4 comments:

  1. I thought I commented about this earlier, but I guess it didn't go through. :) But, a week or so ago Aaron told me he thought of a new tradition we should have. He called it "Melanie's day off" and said it should occur monthly. My first day off was yesterday. He got up with Morgan, fed him, cooked the meals for the family, put Morgan down for a nap and bed, and did the dishes! Definitely loving things.

    ReplyDelete
  2. WE ARE SO EXCITED TO READ THIS BLOG!!!! THANKS FOR TELLING US ABOUT IT!

    And Kevin, should you know if Lori and Tyler Higgins can be reached via email or blog, please, would you help us find them. We have lost touch with them, and love them and miss them.

    I am excited to hear that you are going to be empty nesters--that means you can serve a mission...hee hee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. And that is HILAIRIOUS about the checkbook! we do that with keys.

    Tell Jana HELLO!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Melanie, Congrats to Aaron and your "Melanie's Day Off". What a great idea. I wish I'd thought of that 29 years ago.

    ReplyDelete

Please take a moment to comment on the loving expressions, small or grand, that you have received.