Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Mush-Talk

When I was a teen, living at home, I knew my parents loved each other.  My dad's entire life seems to be dedicated to making my mother comfortable and helping her pursue her constant stream of creative ideas.  As kids we were no strangers to my parents display of affection for each other.  In their example I am truly blessed.

Even so, I could never imagine them making romantic, even mushy, love talk between them.

Jana and I are packing Arielle to college in two days.  Tonight I had worked it so I didn't have any meetings or appointments.  I wanted to be home and help out in getting her ready.  So, we went shopping.  Arielle was looking for specific pieces of her wardrobe which were yet lacking: a warm sweater, another pair of pants, athletic shoes; plus a couple culinary items: a colander, microwavable containers and measuring cups.

As we were shopping, somewhere between Maurice's and Old Navy Jana said, "Let me look at those pants."  She was referring to the fact that I bought a pair of Levi's at the Deseret Industries to replace a pair I had shrunk out of.  Then she said,

"I like the way those pants fit.  And I like that sweater; it's very manly.  And I like that shirt.  And I like that red jacket.  I like how it all looks together.  And I like what's in it."

See, I couldn't have pictured my dad, as demonstrably loving as he is, talking to my mom in that way, all mushy-like.  Jana didn't say it within earshot of Arielle, otherwise Arielle would have thrown up all over the Old Navy floor tile.  But I loved it.  And that, class, is a loving thing: mush-talk.  If you want to keep the pilot light on your love turned on, learn to mush-talk.
____________________

IF YOU WOULD, PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO COMMENT ON ONE OF THE LOVING THINGS, SMALL OR GRAND, THAT YOU HAVE RECEIVED FROM SOMEONE IMPORTANT TO YOU.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please take a moment to comment on the loving expressions, small or grand, that you have received.