Thursday, December 10, 2009

There May Be a Hole in the Bucket But Breakfast is on the Table

Monday morning when I got up Jana asked if I would go put some gas in the van so she could make it the one mile to work, and so we'd have enough to make it to the Ison Family Christmas Home Evening in Boise that evening.

Out the door I headed.

However, once outside I saw it had snowed our first shovelable snow during the night, maybe an inch.  I can't stand walking on new snow on my sidewalk knowing that when I do the footsteps will turn to ice making it twice as hard to shovel later.  So I headed for the garage to grab my snow shovel.  I shoveled out to the street then realized that the kids would soon be headed for school across the street.  So I turned right and shoveled to the corner.

We live on a corner lot so I then went ahead and shoveled down the side street to the neighbor's yard so the kids could walk on a clean sidewalk. I then headed back and went the other way.  My next door neighbor is an older single woman and I always shovel her walks so I headed across her property to the alley by the seminary building.

Heading back to my yard I shoveled around the van.  I then started the van to warm it up.  I grabbed the show brush and cleaned the van of its snowy blanket.  This, of course, deposited snow on the ground where I had just shoveled so I shoveled around the van again.  I then made the full circle and shoveled back to the front door from the driveway.

Retiring the shovel to the front porch I got in the van and headed for Maverick two blocks away to fill the gas tank, finally returning home with gas in the van.

In our daily morning routine I cook breakfast.  I headed into the house to get started on breakfast, but to my great delight, when I walked in breakfast was already ready and on the table.  Jana had gone ahead and prepared breakfast for us and it was waiting as I walked in the door.  I really appreciated that simple loving thing.  I had been concerned about being late and putting our morning schedule into panic mode.

My morning kinda reminds me of the old Scout song I used to lead, "There's a hole in the bucket".  But at least in the real life version, this morning, it ended with breakfast.

____________________

IF YOU WOULD, PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO COMMENT ON ONE OF THE LOVING THINGS, SMALL OR GRAND, THAT YOU HAVE RECEIVED FROM SOMEONE IMPORTANT TO YOU.

1 comment:

  1. Hey I'm standing in proxy for your neighborhood "older single lady" and telling you THANK YOU for shoveling her walk. Someone anonymously shoveled my driveway on Monday - - -and I don't know who to thank here. I appreciated it Emensely-lot! :o)

    ReplyDelete

Please take a moment to comment on the loving expressions, small or grand, that you have received.