Thursday, December 10, 2009

Frozen Drainpipes and the Gift of Appreciation

It's been a busy three days.  The primary reason is due to the extreme cold weather we've been experiencing here in this corner of Idaho.  The nights have been -3 to -8 degrees and the days have only warmed up to about 18 degrees.

This cold snap has had an effect on many homes, including my wife's mother's home.  Yesterday I got a call from mother's caregiver that there was no water in any of the taps.  With the help of a plumber we found that the water main at the water meter had frozen.  We got it thawed out and I insulated the meter.

At 11:00 yesterday evening I received a call from mother stating that her basement was flooded.  We got that mopped up, thanks to the help of our nighttime companion, Kendra.

I spent the afternoon today at mother's trying to figure out the source of last night's flood and why the utility room sink is full and won't drain.  Finally, with the help of the same plumber as yesterday we came up with a cause and a solution.  The solution entails thawing out a drain pipe that is exposed outside in the bottom of a window well.

This evening we had a ward activity ringing and singing at two community Salvation Army kettles, followed by food and fun at my first counselor's home.  I then headed back to mother's to build a tent over the window well and set an electric heater there to thaw the drain pipe.

In the midst of this Jana has been extremely attentive to what is going on and has expressed her appreciation many times.  But I was particularly touched by her thoughtfulness this evening.  After returning home from our young adult activity and before I headed back to mother's she stopped me.

"Before you go, I've made out a deposit to reimburse you for your expenses so far at mother's home.  I've also included money for gas and the additional expenses that are coming.  I just want you to know how much I appreciate you."

There is no tangible way I can communicate the tenderness and thoughtful care with which Jana handed me the deposit envelope and, once again, let me know how much she appreciated my help.  I think appreciation must be one of the keys to love, respect and richness in any marriage.  The heartfelt expression of appreciation and acknowledgment are loving things that cause one to want to do even more, to try even harder, to return the appreciation by being more sensitive to the smallest of loving things expressed by your spouse.

I am so grateful for the unspoken feelings shown to me by Jana in her smile, in her eyes and in the melody of her words.  I truly am a lucky man.

____________________

IF YOU WOULD, PLEASE TAKE A MOMENT TO COMMENT ON ONE OF THE LOVING THINGS, SMALL OR GRAND, THAT YOU HAVE RECEIVED FROM SOMEONE IMPORTANT TO YOU.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you, Kevin, for being mother's handyman and caretaker. Your kindness is wonderful.
    PS. I'm loving your loving vignettes.

    ReplyDelete

Please take a moment to comment on the loving expressions, small or grand, that you have received.